[asdf-devel] can't run quicklisp with asdf 2.28 on CCL (upgrage issue?)

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 03:43:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:03 AM, Anton Vodonosov <avodonosov at yandex.ru> wrote:
> I placed new asdf.lisp into quicklisp and changed (defvar *required-asdf-version* "2.28")
> in quicklisp/setup.lisp to the lates version - 2.28.

This looks like the bad interaction of files compiled with a previous
ASDF and files compiled with the new one. Did you clean your fasl
cache after you upgraded? I'll investigate tomorrow.

It's also possible that my upgrade tricks don't work so well on CCL, and I need
to punt like I do on CLISP. However, CCL does pass all my automated
upgrade tests so far, so if that's the case I need to improve those tests.

Pournelle's Iron Law of Bureaucracy states that in any bureaucratic
organization there will be two kinds of people: those who work to further
the actual goals of the organization, and those who work for the organization
itself. Examples in education would be teachers who work and sacrifice to
teach children, vs. union representative who work to protect any teacher
including the most incompetent. The Iron Law states that in all cases, the
second type of person will always gain control of the organization, and will
always write the rules under which the organization functions.