[asdf-devel] More backward compatibility needed

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 20:19:25 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 4:13 AM, Bill Robinson <wivlaro at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I haven't touched it for a while. Is this causing a problem? For what
> projects? The actual cl-glfw-opengl system is probably a lot less used than
> cl-glfw.

Oh, that appeared while blindly loading software from Quicklisp.

> As I recall I think it's because there are two packages that can provide
> those named functions, the ARB extensions for older version of OpenGL and
> the core equivalents for later versions. Including those packages assumes
> you will have loaded one or other of the specific versions. Basically, it
> depends on another package.

I see.

I suppose a clean approach would be to define a base package
with appropriate interfaces, either through special variables and hook variables
or an explicit interface object (possibly using interface-passing style);
at worst, stub functions to be overridden in another system.

Then, your system would not have hidden dependencies on one of two
other systems.

> I could go back and have a look, but it might not be for some weeks before I
> get time to do it. Sorry.

If it's working as designed, then the issue is not urgent, but you
might consider it a worthwhile cleanup.

Foolishness is rarely a matter of lack of intelligence or even lack of
information.  — John McCarthy