[asdf-devel] Testing ASDF with cl-test-grid

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Dec 31 08:32:12 UTC 2013

Dear Anton,

> When we tested with cl-test-grid,
> ABCL, CMUCL, CCL, CLISP, ECL, SBCL were tested on 2.31.8
> http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/asdf/asdf-diff-21.html
>
> The latest cl-test-grid cycle was for ASDF 2.32.35, it was tested
> on CCL, CLISP, ECL, SBCL on Linux.
> http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-test-grid/asdf/asdf-diff-23.html
>
> So, as you see we ended up testing last fixes only on some lisps,
> not all lisps. Probably that's because it was stabilizing period and
> the fixes were for concrete bugs.
>
> Still, we didn't make a firm "rollback" point - an ASDF version where we
> ensured we have no regressions on all lisps. For now I suggest to consider
> 2.32.35 as more or less reliable previous comparison point, where
> all regressions were proved to be not ASDF bugs, but bugs in libraries,
> and were reported to the library maintainers.
>
> I hope in this ASDF release, we will test the released version
> on maximum number of lisps, so that in future we will have reliable
> comparison point.

Yes. This time, let's use 2.32.35 as our baseline, and if you can,
test both ASDF 3.0.3 as the current stable, and
3.1.0.32 (current HEAD) as our release candidate for 3.1.1.

I don't actually expect any change in cl-test-grid results between all
these versions, except maybe that my own software (e.g.
lisp-interface-library) might possibly fail on older versions of ASDF.

>> But then, you'd have to check with both old and new Quicklisp.
>
> I am going to run tests of both previous stable ASDF version and the
> current HEAD on the same Quicklisp - 2013-12-13.

Thanks a lot!

>> I suppose that you should compare with whatever comes with the implementation.
>
> OK, we can do this too - we will compare result for the latest ASDF
> with the results for the "main", unpatched quicklisp, which uses ASDF
> coming with the implementation.
>
> It also would be nice to compare with some concrete previous stable
> ASDF version, as described above, to be sure we cover full ASDF evolution
> on all lisps.

Don't overdo it. I would do it with
maybe 2.26 (default from Quicklisp), 2.32.35 (previous tested),
3.0.3 (latest stable) and 3.1.0.32 (release candidate),
and that's already a lot.

It may be bad manners to talk with your mouth full, but it isn't too
good either if you speak when your head is empty.