[asdf-devel] asdf and quicklisp

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 18:18:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:

> I stopped updating ASDF versions when it seemed to require asdf-ecl.lisp
> to work on ECL. Is the case? Can ECL get by with asdf.lisp alone?

Since Faré took over ASDF, ASDF has worked perfectly fine with ECL so that
is not a reason not to upgrade. However, asdf-ecl.lisp was not developed to
fix asdf.lisp, but to introduce operations that make ASDF more efficient
with ECL.

In other words, ECL can do with asdf alone but this is undesirable. For
instance, quicklisp's reliance on 'ASDF:LOAD-OP implies loading an average
of 10 times more files than ECL's ASDF:LOAD-FASL-OP, and also a greater
pressure on the operating system, for ECL relies on native methods for

Moreover, asdf-ecl allows one to take quicklisp distribution and produce a
standalone executable, or a shared library (DLL) with one ASDF operation.
This, which I find extremely nice, has been ported by Fare to other
implementations in a successor to asdf-ecl that I have not yet had the time
to integrate in ECL.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC