[asdf-devel] asdf-bundle and ECL

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 13:41:45 UTC 2012

> Found a problem: https://github.com/quicklisp/quicklisp-client/issues/68

OK, so Quicklisp was failing on older ECLs, because
1- it saw that older ECLs had an old ASDF, so it loaded its own more
recent one (2.26)
2- when it loads a more recent ASDF, that invalidated the asdf-bundle
part of ECL's ASDF.
3- when it further tried to (require :sockets), that failed, because
require depends on asdf-bundle.

Therefore, it looks like asdf-bundle is required when upgrading ASDF
on ECL for Quicklisp.

I bundled (pun intended) asdf-bundle into a single Lisp file asdf-bundle.lisp,
so it's easier to deploy, either as part of ECL or of Quicklisp.
Along the way, I fixed it for SBCL (some recent changes must have broken it),
and tested it on SBCL and ECL:

(asdf:load-system :asdf-bundle)
(trace load)
(asdf:operate asdf:load-fasl-op :fare-utils)

Does what I expect from a fresh Lisp image where the fasls have been
compiled already.

Now, do we want to distribute asdf-bundle.lisp as a separate system
asdf-bundle.asd?
Do we want to distribute it as part of asdf.asd the way we used to do
asdf-ecl.lisp?
Do we want to just add its contents to asdf.lisp, a growth of a bit
over 10% in size,
for additional functionality on many platforms and much less headaches on ECL?

An anarchist is a man who is careful to always use pedestrian crossings,
because he utterly detests talking with policemen. — Georges Brassens