[asdf-devel] prepare-op

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 22:13:34 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I understand the bug that Xach found:
>
> There was an ancient bug whereby input-files for a module always returned
> a singleton list containing the module's component-pathname, its directory.
> That wasn't an issue then due to the even greater deep design flaw
> of timestamps not being propagated. Since the latter bug was fixed,
> the former popped its ugly head. Because SB-ROTATE-BYTE has a module
> (a fake one for the purpose of using :if-component-dep-fails),
> ASDF wanted to recompile it, which fails. If you have a fast compiler
> and you don't install, the entire thing can be compiled in under a second,
> and the timestamps for all the fasls and directory are the same.
> But after you install, the directory timestamp is older, and you are
> sure to lose.
>
> Anyway, this should be fixed in 2.26.33.
>
> My apologies for the breakage. Software is hard.

Actually, the reason I wasn't seeing Zach's bug when running in SLIME is because
I was running my asdf on top of the require'd asdf; now since
input-files is not included
in the list of redefined-functions, I was still benefitting from a
method from the previous
ASDF that explicitly overrode the default method, forcing modules to
actually have no
input-files. So it was actually my bug to have deleted this method instead of
making it a method on parent-component. There. Mea culpa.

It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still
to be a live lion. And usually easier.
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"