[asdf-devel] asdf-bundle

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 23:12:10 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 02:08, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll
<juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> is it OK with you if unbundle asdf-ecl from asdf.asd, and instead create
>> a somewhat portable asdf extension called asdf-bundle.asd ?
>
> I would need some time to do that -- this means not before the next release.
> What bundle operations make sense in other implementations? Concatenating
> FASLs seems to work in SBCL (at least last time I tried), but that, CLISP
> and CCL are about the implementations I have.

Oh, it's not meant to be ready before the next release.
But if you agree to the principle, then
further development (barring urgent bug fixes)
can move to a new asdf-bundle repository,
and there will be fewer merge headaches.

> One thing that worries me about unbundling it is that being an extension,
> ECL users no longer have it by default -- they have to make an extra effort.

Yeah. That would either mean that ECL users have to replace
(require :asdf) with (require :asdf-bundle) to use its features,
or (require :asdf) could somehow be mapped to a bundle
that includes the equivalent of (asdf:load-system :asdf-bundle)
or maybe (asdf:load-system :asdf-contrib),
including other contribs such as asdf-encodings.
Hopefully the future asdf-bundle to be will support this kind of setups.

Or then again, maybe I should be working on XCVB instead.

In any case, I have created these repos:
ssh://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/git/asdf-bundle.git
ssh://common-lisp.net/project/asdf/git/asdf-contrib.git
aka
git://common-lisp.net/projects/asdf/asdf-bundle.git
git://common-lisp.net/projects/asdf/asdf-contrib.git

Does artillery violate the natural rights of the target? I would say: the
entire *purpose* of artillery is to violate the natural rights of the target.