[asdf-devel] Testing with RMCL....

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Sun Apr 22 15:18:09 UTC 2012

On 4/22/12 Apr 22 -9:55 AM, Faré wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 08:54, Pascal Costanza <pc at p-cos.net> wrote:
>> Why is it that ASDF requires restarting lisp in a pristine state?
>>
> Mostly historical reasons. Its test suite predates most test-suite software.
> No one has rewritten it to use anything else.
> I would gladly accept a patch that replaces that with, say, fiveam or stefil.
> Proper use of clear-system and delete-package can help.

I suppose it could be rewritten to do that.  I have never thought it was
worth the trouble, since running the tests would damage the state of any
lisp process in which it was run (because of changing the internal state
of ASDF), but such a rewrite would make ASDF testable on LW personal and
RMCL, which would be a worthwhile objective.

Sadly, FiveAM seems to have been abandoned and is in need of a new
maintainer.  None of the bese projects darcs repos has been modified in
almost 2 years....

My work has become very busy of late, so I don't have time to do such a
rewrite, but I believe it is well within reach.

Best,