[asdf-devel] Please test asdf-encodings

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 23:38:22 UTC 2012

Dear all,

asdf-encodings now includes a version of
Douglas Crosher's encoding detection algorithm.
It is also automatically disabled on implementations without unicode support.

As compared to Douglas's version, the detection algorithm
uses :ascii or :latin1 instead of :default as a fallback
when no declaration was found and no UTF-n encoding was detected.
It also uses a 1024-byte buffer rather than 320-byte buffer,
to imitate what Emacs does with respect to the beginning of a file.

I suggest that asdf-encodings is now ready for testing,
and invite you to test it.

An example package that uses it is my lambda-reader,
heavily modified from Brian Mastenbrook's original
to make it hopefully portable to all implementations
with or without utf-8 support.

Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other "sins" are
invented nonsense. (Hurting yourself is not sinful — just stupid.)
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"