[asdf-devel] Update: encoding file options version.

Douglas Crosher dtc-asdf at scieneer.com
Thu Apr 19 01:26:20 UTC 2012

On 04/19/2012 09:58 AM, Raymond Toy wrote:
> On 4/18/12 7:24 AM, Douglas Crosher wrote:
>>
>>   * UTF-8 detection removed to save on the line count.  Still detects a UTF-8 BOM, and reads a UTF-8 encoding file option.  Adding a
>> UTF-8 encoding file option will help other tools too anyway.
>
> Does anyone use a BOM with utf8?  It's not required, doesn't do anything
> except consume 2 octets, but it's not disallowed either.

Yes, there are files in Quicklisp releases with a UTF-8 BOM.

Note that these will cause an error when incorrectly loaded in an 8 bit locale - another counter example for those who think UTF-8
lisp source will load and run as expected in an 8 bit locale!

>>   * Removed the lengthy external-format translation table to save on the line count.  It should be easy for CL implementations to
>> include more aliases so move the burden of maintaining the aliases to the CL implementation.  CLISP and the Scieneer CL already
>> support an extensive range of codes and aliases, and an update set of aliases has been sent for CMUCL.
>
> The updated set of aliases for CMUCL will be in the next snapshot.  Thanks!
>

>>   * Added a large set of test files that exercise the reading of the encoding file option and try to include enough characters from
>> each character set to check that the encoding option has been successful mapped to an appropriate external-format.  This includes
>> all the encoding in linux 'iconv -l' that include support for the characters needed by CL, but excludes the EBCDIC codes.  All 629
>> tests pass on the Scieneer CL, 628 on CLISP, and a much smaller but useful sent on CCL, CMUCL, ECL, and SBCL due to their limited
>> aliases and limited encoding support.   See: http://www.scieneer.com/files/coding-tests.tar.bz2
>
> Is there any "mandatory" set of encodings that asdf wants?  Presumably
> that means at least iso8859-1 and utf8.  Anything else is a bonus?

I would like to see ASDF continue to work using just ASCII, and to support other encodings.  Not every user wants to use it with
Unicode projects.  UTF-8 support is adequate if you are prepared to convert to this and use it and I suspect this will likely suit a
lot of users.