[asdf-devel] Testing with RMCL....

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Wed Apr 18 13:39:49 UTC 2012

On 4/18/12 Apr 18 -12:10 AM, Pascal Costanza wrote:
> On 17 Apr 2012, at 21:36, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>
>> I am willing to run the ASDF tests using RMCL, since my Mac still has
>> Snow Leopard, instead of Lion.
>>
>> *However*, as a non-RMCL user, I have no idea how to run it from the
>> shell, so that we can run the test suite on RMCL.
>>
>> Can someone please offer me a clue?
>
> You can't run RMCL from a shell...

Hm.  Well then I cannot run the tests there.  Maybe someone who is
dedicated to seeing RMCL + ASDF continue to work would be so kind as to
provide a technique for running the tests.  This may be quite tricky,
since the tests require restarting lisp in pristine state.

Question: is it possible to control RMCL using applescript?  I suppose
that could be used to perform the functions for which we are currently
using shell scripts.  An ongoing rewrite effort to get the tests to work
is likely to be quite laborious.

Given that we cannot test on RMCL, and it's EOLed by the release of
Lion, I am inclined to say we should end official ASDF support for RMCL.
 Incorporating patches to keep ASDF working on RMCL seems fine, but I
don't believe that we can continue to fix problems on that platform
ourselves.

>> I can't be trying to run this from the GUI every time it needs a test.
>> I had to give up testing LispWorks for the same reason.
>
> ...but you can run LispWorks from a shell.

Actually, you can run LispWorks from a shell, but only if you can dump
an image, which is a privilege limited to those who have a full (paid)
license.

I don't have such a license, so I cannot run the LispWorks tests.

It would be nice if someone from the community (someone working for
LispWorks, perhaps) would take the responsibility of verifying that ASDF
releases run on LW.  I don't believe Faré can do this, either.

Best,
Robert