[asdf-devel] Please test 2.20.16

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:02:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:32, Douglas Crosher <dtc-asdf at scieneer.com> wrote:
> The :encoding support is a dead end and I suggest it be removed now and not be put forward to the wider community.  The
> documentation encouraging the use of the :encoding option is not constructive.  People would be poorly advised to use the :encoding
> option in preference to an encoding file option.

I'm not sure why you say it's a dead-end.
It certainly costs very little in terms of lines of code, and
guarantees a deterministic behavior without the costs of detection.
It's cheaper to put say :encoding :koi8-r in your defsystem than
-*- coding: koi8-r -*- in each and every file
(assuming each of the contributors' editor is otherwise configured
to accept koi8-r for those files).

Until we're ready to merge ~500 lines of code into ASDF itself
(which is not a light thing, and supposes the design is stable
and widely accepted), I believe this is a good intermediate solution,
where the provided extensibility hooks allow everyone to have his way.

> The latest documentation additions:
>
> "We invite you to embrace UTF-8 as the encoding for non-ASCII characters starting today, even without any explicit specification in
> your .asd files.  Indeed, on some implementations and configurations, UTF-8 is already the :default, and loading your code may cause
> errors if it is encoded in anything but UTF-8.  Therefore, even with the legacy behaviour,  non-UTF-8 is guaranteed to break for
> some users, whereas UTF-8 is pretty much guaranteed not to break anywhere, although it might be read incorrectly on some
> implementations.  In the future, we intend to make @code{:utf-8} the default, to be enforced everywhere, so at least the code is
> guaranteed to be read correctly everywhere it can be."
>
> People would be poorly advised to use any encoding without regard for the locale.  Even UTF-8 is not guaranteed to 'not break
> anywhere' - just try running SBCL in an ISO-8859-1 locale and loading UTF-8!  There is no need to make :utf-8 the default or to
> enforce it and this is not an appropriate path.

I disagree, all 8-bit locales will read utf-8 without *breaking*,
though displaying funny characters. A utf-8 locale will *break* when
reading arbitrary 8-bit files.
That's a big difference.
As for multibyte CJK locales, yes they may break when fed utf-8 code,
but implementations that support them also support unicode,
and whoever uses these locales is already having configuration issues
that the current asdf proposal will make better, not worse.
Therefore, when publishing a library online, your best bet is to use UTF-8.
That's not just my personal opinion.
That's what the authors of the ~100 libraries that use non-ASCII
out of the ~700 in Quicklisp have chosen.
If "we" are to formally standardize on anything it should be on this
de facto standard.

A fruitful discussion is a negotiation, out of which emerges meaning. Classic
works are standards, and politeness is a protocol, to ease such negotiation.
With a reasonably expressive language, neither is strictly needed,
but both sure do help, and they are where the general progress happens.