[asdf-devel] source file encoding

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 20:43:21 UTC 2012

OK, so I think it's worth it adding automatic detection to ASDF
and making it the default. However, before I merge anything into
ASDF itself, I'd like to see it implemented as part of asdf-encodings.
This will also make it easier to experiment with various approaches
and see which works best while leading to maintainable code.

I admit I like pjb's approach of heeding the emacs declaration of coding:
it's consistent with the Lisp tradition, compatible with an existing
productivity tool (emacs), and can be re-used for more features.
>From a cursory glance, I'm not convinced by his specific implementation;
it seems to me the thing could be cleaner.
When no encoding is specified, autodetection can be used as per
Douglas's code, with latin-1 and/or whatever 8-bit default is available
as a fallback if it's not UTF-8.

Then, maybe the plan should be for 2.21 to add the :encoding keyword,
but keep :default as the default for now,
to be changed to either :utf-8 or :autodetect when the dust has settled.
People who want to get deterministic utf-8 behavior can then use
#+asdf-unicode #+asdf-unicode :encoding :utf-8 for now.

Wealth, like happiness, is never attained when sought after directly. It comes
as a by-product of providing a useful service. — Henry Ford