[asdf-devel] What are current plans for RMCL?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 16:06:40 UTC 2012

> I have just installed Clozure 1.8, and the ASDF version that comes bundled with it (2.20) breaks my setup for ASDF systems using logical pathnames. That happens all the time (with recent new versions of LispWorks or SBCL, for example), and it is very annoying to keep track of which version of ASDF works and which doesn't.

What bugs are you experiencing?
Can you show us your setup?
It would help if we had test cases against which to test our support
for logical-pathnames.
Last major change was in 2.016.2.

> I am now considering changing my setup away from logical pathnames, in the hope that I don't have to worry that much about ASDF anymore. However, this means that I can't use a portable setup anymore, so I am trying to figure out to what extent this is still important. That's what the paragraph above is about. (Sorry for cross-posting, but I think it's important to see this in context.)

Unhappily, portable pathnames are anything but.

You can do things more portably without logical pathnames,
e.g. with asdf:system-relative-pathname.