[asdf-devel] source file encoding

Douglas Crosher dtc-asdf at scieneer.com
Sun Apr 8 11:31:02 UTC 2012

The portable-hemlock is still maintained and was updated a few months ago to avoid the use of non-ascii characters in the source so
it builds cleanly with UTF-8 as the input external-format.  The code is not in great shape, but is being improved.  See:
http://gitorious.org/hemlock/pages/Home

Even if you get all the quick lisp projects converted to be UTF-8 clean, this still represents a subset of ASDF users.  I wish you
would reconsider these changes to ASDF because I fear it is divisive.   It is not reasonable to expect users of ASDF to hack on
external support code just to use non-UTF-8 external-formats, and the external library you plan for can never be complete because
the external-format is user extensible.  ASDF could easily be flexible regarding the external-format and not a limited bastion of
portable open source code.  It would be very easy and workable to just name this :external-format, and to pass through encodings not
recognised - all the quicklisp projects would work just fine using :utf-8 and other CL users could use encodings as needed.

Regards
Douglas Crosher