[asdf-devel] Suggested patches for ASDF

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Sep 9 22:33:16 UTC 2011

On 9/9/11 Sep 9 -4:11 PM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 9:55 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info
> <mailto:rpgoldman at sift.info>> wrote:
>
>     OK.  But why do you need to do
>     (member :foo *features*)
>     instead of
>     #+foo
>     ?
>     That was the original question.
>

> Simple: because the user may switch compilers at run time at any time
> he/she wishes. This is quite typical in Windows, where the bytecodes
> compiler is active by default because many people do not have a C
> compiler in their PC.
>
> Using #+ hardcodes the behavior in ASDF. This would be short-sighted:
> the same ASDF library can handle multiple compilers without needing to
> re-load it again.

That is what I had suspected.

Question:  any objection to modifying your patch so that we have
something like:

#+ecl
(defun use-ecl-byte-compiler-p ()
  (member :ecl-bytecomp *features*))
#-ecl
(defun use-ecl-byte-compiler-p ()
  nil)

and then call the function in place of the member query in other code?

If so, lmk, and we can push this.

cheers,