[asdf-devel] run-shell-command

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Oct 21 20:06:57 UTC 2011

Question:  could we handle this problem with the new asdf contrib idea?
 Could we distribute an ASDF:RUN-SHELL-COMMAND based in the XCVB code
base along with ASDF using a contrib system?

I am reluctant to see RUN-SHELL-COMMAND no longer be distributed with
ASDF, since it seems to make a hash of our claims that ASDF can manage
systems that mix other code with common lisp code.  I don't believe that
invoking external facilities should rely on additional ASDF system
dependencies.  But I am sympathetic to the idea that RUN-SHELL-COMMAND
is too big to fit in asdf.lisp, if done properly.

A second question:  can we provide something like autoload for
RUN-SHELL-COMMAND, based on ASDF:LOAD-SYSTEM, to minimize dislocation?
If we have something like autoload, then people won't have to rejigger
their system structures if we deprecate R-S-C away.  Indeed, if we give
them a better version, then they would just be a step ahead.

Finally, if we provide a better R-S-C, how do users differentiate?
#+asdf2 is simply too coarse a tool now.  #+asdf-run-shell-command ?

Cheers,