[asdf-devel] compile--with-nicknames

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 05:17:11 UTC 2011

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 21:36, Сергей Катревич <linkfly1 at newmail.ru> wrote:
>    I think that asdf is a big enough system in order to start its division. But have to single file asdf.lisp - it is convenient. I propose to take advantage of both approaches: concated many files into asdf.lisp (for example: utils.lisp + pathnames-utils.lisp + planning-operations.lisp + ... = asdf.lisp). Such as is done in jquery (https://github.com/jquery/jquery).

This has been proposed before, but was not done, because
1- there are currently no situation where concatenating files is practical.
2- the one only situation where we want everything in one file
   is for bootstrapping purposes, and in that situation,
   we want the file minimal, so we need to distribute a small file
   that doesn't change more often than it needs to, or takes more
   resources than needed in slow loading implementations.
3- when editing such a minimal file, there is little to be gained
   with splitting into multiple files. It's 4275 lines including
   plenty of comments. That's still quite manageable.
   Scripts to either keep it together or apart are not so manageable.

But once again, an asdf-contrib add-on module sounds great,
and with today's technology, particularly quicklisp,
it should be really easy to distribute.

A president worth voting for wouldn't run for office.