[asdf-devel] MCL issue

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri May 20 23:21:45 UTC 2011

> Logical pathnames work well as long as all your files follow the
> naming restrictions. Which is not the case for all CL programs and
> libraries, even less so when you're integrating with other languages
> and their naming conventions, or (shudder) files that have version
> numbers in them...
>
> If they work well for you, more power to you.
> But ASDF cannot possibly depend on them.

Also, logical-pathnames require some magic setup to happen early in
the system configuration. Details of such configuration is completely
implementation-dependent, and it would be a bootstrapping catch-22 to
require casual users to do this configuration before they could use
ASDF. More work for less bang. Yet another reason why ASDF does not
depend on logical-pathnames, and why I do not recommend that anyone
should bother with them for anything remotely "portable". Of course,
if you already paid the price, you're free to keep using them and live
with their limitations.

Obama's economic policies will be so remembered that he'll be the president
picked for the face on the hundred trillion dollar bill.