[asdf-devel] Tutorial ASDF(?)

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri May 20 20:47:24 UTC 2011

On 20 May 2011 16:18, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:

> .asd files should not be loaded directly with cl:load or any shortcut
> that involves cl:load, like cl path/to/whatever.asd. ASDF sets up an
> environment when loading an .asd file that is not the same as the
> environment established by cl:load.
>
> The only way (with which I'm familiar) to properly load an .asd file is
> via asdf:find-system.

Indeed.

In recent versions of ASDF, I have factored out of find-system
an internal function
	(asdf::load-sysdef "/path/to/foo.asd")
that does the right thing. But I haven't exported the function so far,
because I believe you should only be loading them via find-system, which
for the longest time had been the only interface to that functionality.
You should certainly never compile-file a .asd file — though I've been
known to C-c C-k some of them at the SLIME REPL and regret it later.

Moving parts in rubbing contact require lubrication to avoid excessive wear.
Honorifics and formal politeness provide lubrication where people rub together.
Often the very young, the untraveled, the naïve, the unsophisticated deplore
these formalities as "empty", "meaningless", or "dishonest", and scorn to use
them. No matter how "pure" their motives, they thereby throw sand into
machinery that does not work too well at best.
        — Robert Heinlein, "Time Enough For Love"