[asdf-devel] Tutorial ASDF(?)

Ernst van Waning evw at infometrics.nl
Fri May 20 20:11:45 UTC 2011

Dear Robert,

>> However, I have one question: what is the reason that these
>> output translations are apparently not applied to the .asd
>> files?  The way I understand my output-translations, I have
>> globally specified that all fasls are in an
>> implementation-specific directory just below my source
>> files.  For me, .asd files are just source files, so why not
>> place them where the other fasls are written?

> Not sure I fully understand.  As you say, the .asd files are just
> source files, and they are never compiled, so there is no need
> to do any output translations for them.

> I may not have fully followed the question....

concerning the .asd files, I use cl path/to/..asd in the REPL and both
sbcl and acl try to find fasls for them.  If there is no corresponding
fasl, they write one.

At present, I do an explicit (load #P"path/to/system.asd") to prevent
Lisp from writing fasls.  So, the question comes from a habit developed
over the years: why aren't defsystem files trated the same way as source
files, i.e., treated according to what is specified in
asdf-output-translations.conf?

Hopefully this explains a bit of the backgrond of my question.

Further comments later.

Kind regards, good weekend,

Ernst

asdf-devel-request at common-lisp.net schreef op vr 20-05-2011 om 12:00