[asdf-devel] Tutorial ASDF(?)

Ernst van Waning evw at infometrics.nl
Fri May 20 13:25:11 UTC 2011

After some unplanned adventures asdf writes and reads fasls from
implementation-specific directories.  It was simple and the code is in
the manual: simply put

(:output-translations
 (:root (:root :**/ :implementation-type :*.*.*))
 :inherit-configuration)

in ~/.config/common-lisp/asdf-output-translations.conf

and it works like magic.

As :root is actually mentioned as magic in the manual, you can imagine
how glad I am to have offered to contribute tutorial stuff :-)  I will
go through the code to try to demystify it for myself and try to find
the words to explain it.  Being a noob with configurations, maybe I
should even try to explain this topic in the case of asdf.

However, I have one question: what is the reason that these output
translations are apparently not applied to the .asd files?  The way I
understand my output-translations, I have globally specified that all
fasls are in a implementation-specific directory just below my source
files.  For me, .asd files are just source files, so why not place them
where the other fasls are written?

Hoping to hear,

Kind regards,

Ernst