[asdf-devel] MCL issue

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu May 19 19:26:19 UTC 2011

On 5/19/11 May 19 -2:12 PM, Pascal Costanza wrote:

> On 19 May 2011, at 20:58, Robert Goldman wrote:

>> Indeed, one of the things that ASDF does is provide a POSIX-ish portable
>> file system sub-system precisely because the specified facilities
>> (pathnames, logical pathnames) didn't do the job.
>
> Because ASDF 2.x caused me some trouble in RMCL, I actually put some effort
> into learning logical pathnames - and they seem to work extremely well, as far
> as I can tell (but it requires specifying :ignore-inherited-configuration in
> my source registry configuration, which seems somewhat unclean to me - but I
> don't really know...)

One undesirable feature is their refusal to permit filenames containing
underscores or spaces:

word---one or more uppercase letters, digits, and hyphens.

I have also found that in practice merge-pathnames works inconsistently
across lisp implementations.  Those inconsistencies seem acceptable
within the scope of the ANSI spec.  This is actually something that is
true of pathnames in general, and not just logical pathnames.  I believe
that this is part of the reason that Faré moved to his own POSIX-y
pathnames.

Every time I have used logical pathnames, or even just used pathnames,
they have blown up in my face, sooner or later, when code moved from one
lisp implementation to another.  I, for one, welcome Fare replacing them
inside ASDF2...

Best,