[asdf-devel] MCL issue

Chun Tian (binghe) binghe.lisp at gmail.com
Wed May 18 05:05:35 UTC 2011

Hi, ASDF developers

Some time ago I can use ASDF with Macintosh Common Lisp, but recently I can't any more.

I updated to latest ASDF 2 and compile/load it into MCL (my current version is 6.0, but 5.2.1 has the same problem):

? (pushnew #P"Macintosh HD:Users:binghe:Lisp:usocket:branches:0.5.x:"
         asdf:*central-registry* :test 'equal)
(#P"Macintosh HD:Users:binghe:Lisp:usocket:branches:0.5.x:")
? (asdf:load-system :usocket)
> Error: Not an absolute pathname: #4P"home:"
> While executing: ASDF::RESOLVE-ABSOLUTE-LOCATION-COMPONENT
> Type Command-. to abort.
See the Restarts… menu item for further choices.
1 >

I don't know what does ASDF::RESOLVE-ABSOLUTE-LOCATION-COMPONENT try to do, but I see a fact that MCL's standard function USER-HOMEDIR-PATHNAME can only return the MCL installation directory but current Mac user's home directory:

? (user-homedir-pathname)
#4P"home:"
? (truename *)
#P"Macintosh HD:Users:binghe:Lisp:MCL 6.0:"

I think above function should return #P"Macintosh HD:Users:binghe:" instead.  And I see ASDF depend on USER-HOMEDIR-PATHNAME, so that there's no way to store compiled fasls into "~/.cache/common-lisp" ...

Regards,

Chun Tian (binghe)