[asdf-devel] asdf verbosity

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon May 2 01:46:25 UTC 2011

On 1 May 2011 14:11, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
> I can see both sides of this argument.  But I think Daniel is right in
> many ways --- ASDF is way down at the bottom of the dependency stack for
> the common lisp community and so the expectation of it remaining stable
> is pretty important.

Yes.

> Probably, though, to avoid stagnation, we need to soon begin a branch
> that will lead us to ASDF 3.

Note: in my mind, ASDF 3 is XCVB. Which is working great, but still
requires love before it correctly supports all the maintained
platforms that ASDF does and provides better failure modes than
dumping a backtrace on syntax errors.

> We need to find someone who wishes to lead us on that journey, though,
> since Faré has announced his desire to move on to something different.

If you think there's long term future in the current ASDF
architecture, you'll need someone else than I, indeed. If you want to
give a try to XCVB, you know where to find it.

Life is like an onion: you peel off layer after layer,
then you find there is nothing in it.