[asdf-devel] asdf verbosity

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Sun May 1 11:54:06 UTC 2011

> I don't like these kinds of user-visible changes, because if someone
> liked the old behavior, or was at least accustomed to it, they now have
> to do research and become involved in ASDF to learn how to get the
> previous behavior.

i don't really have an opinion on the specific topic, and i don't mean
to annoy...

but what if someone *didn't* like the behavior? then they would have
to do research and become involved in ASDF to learn how to get rid of
the current behavior (notice the almost exact same wording of a
counter argument).

just pointing out that to me it seems like you're simply stating your
personal preferences and/or dislike for change. it's a common human
behavior and there's nothing wrong with that, especially in your case
Zach: as author of quicklisp you obviously try to minimize headaches
caused by changes to ASDF. but if this really is the case then we
should be aware of that because it often hiders technical discussions
and development of software systems (the closest example that comes to
my mind is what is happening to Slime. or really, what is *not*
happening to it...)

the ultimate backwards compatibility is not having had even started
the project in question (modulo my english grammar deficiencies).

also worth noting that people much-much more often speak up of
annoyance than being pleased by a change.

</rant>

--
 attila

Notice your eroding (digital) freedom, and do something about it!

PGP: 2FA1 A9DC 9C1E BA25 A59C  963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
OTR XMPP: 8647EEAC EA30FEEF E1B55146 573E52EE 21B1FF06
BitCoin: 154uf86Vd9rpjMULd9CXa7nVwikknYZJiB