[asdf-devel] Messages are a bit uglier now

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Thu Mar 24 17:54:55 UTC 2011

Sorry for not following the line wrapping discussion earlier. Now that
I've had a chance to build some systems, the new output looks a bit ugly
to me.

Here's how 2.010 looked:

    * (asdf:load-system "my-very-long-system-woo-hoo")

    ; /home/xach/src/asdf/my-very-long-system-woo-hoo.asd into #<PACKAGE "ASDF0">
    ; registering #<SYSTEM #:MY-VERY-LONG-SYSTEM-WOO-HOO> as
    ; MY-VERY-LONG-SYSTEM-WOO-HOO

Here's how 2.013.4 looks:

    * (asdf:load-system "my-very-long-system-woo-hoo")

                                                                                                "ASDF0">

    ; Registering #<SYSTEM
                    #:MY-VERY-LONG-SYSTEM-WOO-HOO> as MY-VERY-LONG-SYSTEM-WOO-HOO

I thought it might be improved by setting *print-pretty* to nil, but
that still produces this:

    * (asdf:load-system "my-very-long-system-woo-hoo")

    ; Registering #<SYSTEM #:MY-VERY-LONG-SYSTEM-WOO-HOO> as MY-VERY-LONG-SYSTEM-WOO-HOO

It looks like there are extra blank lines before each message.

In case your mail client makes the wrapping look weird, I also pasted
these examples at http://paste.lisp.org/display/120843/raw.

I really prefer the older output. If the newer output is kept, it would
be nice if the extra blank lines could be eliminated.

Thanks,
Zach