[asdf-devel] [Sbcl-devel] Logical pathnames vs ASDF & SBCL

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 04:29:03 UTC 2011

On 12 June 2011 11:49, Pascal Costanza <pc at p-cos.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is all very frustrating. With ASDF 1.x, everything worked fine and I have never encountered any issues. Since CL implementations "upgraded" to ASDF 2.x, things run into problems on a regular basis.

I'm sorry you're running into problems. I could have done things
better. Yet, I believe ASDF 2 is a clear improvement over ASDF 1. I
also believe a lot of your problems come from your rash attitude in
dealing with adversity.

> What is really annoying is that the ASDF 2.x documentation is misleading. *central-registry* is described as old-style and deprecated that is hopefully going away in the future, and logical pathnames are also described as old-style and better to be avoided. If I read the recent messages by Fare and James correctly, it turns out that if I had sticked to *central-registry* and switched to logical pathnames, everything would be fine and I wouldn't have had to waste time on a very frustrating experience.

I still believe central-registry and logical pathnames are old style,
since they necessitate implementation-dependent configuration (i.e.
more buck) for results of more limited applicability (i.e. less bang).
I am unwilling to dig into each implementation's details and document
the 14 different ways to get things working this way.

For a less frustrating experience, you could communicate better and
earlier about your problems.

For instance, you apparently switched to logical pathnames after you
experienced a bug in the ASDF support for RMCL. If only you had
reported that my previous series of fixes to RMCL support still didn't
solve your issues, and kept pressing the issues, I would have provided
a solution then, rather than when Binghe reported the issue again a
few months afterwards.

> Please take one or two steps back and try to see the global picture: Logical pathnames and *central-registry* have their quirks and complications, that is correct. But all you're doing is to replace this with an alternative that has again their own quirks and complications. So overall you're not making things easier, you're just replacing one difficult-to-use system with another difficult-to-use system. This is not a win, not for anybody.

I believe I made things easier: no more per-implementation
configuration, no more attempts to badly documentation half of them.