[asdf-devel] ASDF 2.016.2

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 05:12:46 UTC 2011

Regarding RMCL and logical pathnames, please test 2.016.2.
I introduce some non-trivial pathname changes.

On RMCL, ASDF sees strings as "/posix/namestrings/" in its configuration.
if you want OS9-style pathnames, they are #p"that:a:way:". You can thus
both trivially share your configuration with other implementations, and
just as trivially use MCL-specific paths.

For logical pathnames, I implemented my "harder way" plan
from previous email:
> make extra effort when using DIRECTORY against logical pathnames
> to always reconstitute LPNs from the PPNs given by directory, and
> drop the reconstituted results if they don't resolve to the same thing.

In other words, if I compute (directory #p"FOO:CL;BAR;"),
and find a file #p"/home/baz/cl/bar/quux.asd", the file will be kept
only if (make-pathname :name "quux" :type "asd" :defaults #p"FOO:CL;BAR;")
has the previous as its truename. And similarly when walking directories.
I believe this restriction is not a problem in practice, and
will keep things somewhat sane.

And no, it's probably still not a good idea to try mix logical pathnames
and mixed-case physical pathnames, as the result is highly non-portable.

Also removed *system-cache* and getuid, which were bad ideas that
never worked (and if anyone is using either, he'll thank me for making
him stop).

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature.	— Frank Lloyd Wright