[asdf-devel] Parse a component without loading it

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Fri Jun 3 15:56:50 UTC 2011

On 6/3/11 Jun 3 -7:42 AM, Francisco Vides Fernández wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm working on a project to generate deb packages directly from asdf
> files (if it works, will be published open sourced).
>
> I need to parse a component definition form and work with the generated
> object, so I'm using asdf::parse-component-form for this, but it first
> searches the component (using asdf::find-component) and if it doesn't
> exist, then makes a new instance but the desired behaviour in this case
> is always generate a fresh instance. I've extended it so it can accept
> an optional parameter, 'reuse-instance to get the desired behaviour
> (patch attached).
>

> Furthermore, IMHO, asdf::parse-component should be exported so it makes
> easier to develop asdf extensions.

I am reluctant to export this API.  I think it's likely to radically
complicate any further rationalization of ASDF.

Why can't you use FIND-SYSTEM to read the system definition and then
operate on the resulting graph of component objects?

It would be easier to assess this proposal with more information about
the intended objectives.

thanks,