[asdf-devel] XDG_DATA_DIRS and colon separated things

Rupert Swarbrick rswarbrick at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 20:50:10 UTC 2011

Faré <fahree at gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 09:27, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>> On 12/13/11 Dec 13 -7:44 AM, Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> TL;DR: Confusing error message. Is it possible to make it less confusing
>>>        and/or ignore the silly input I inadvertently gave asdf?
>>>
>> Maybe a continuable error dropping the "" components?  That would
>> encourage the user to actually fix the offending configuration.
>>
> Thanks for the bug report.
>
> Please try ASDF 2.019.4.

Cool, this looks great. Thanks!

In principle, I agree with Robert Goldman's suggestion of nagging people
to fix their config, but this is the first application/library to have
fallen over, so maybe others have decided to let silly colons like this
slide. Also doing so makes things like

  MYVAR=$MYVAR:/somewhere/else

a little more robust: if $MYVAR was "", this still works.

Anyway, thank you again.

Rupert