[asdf-devel] load order of dependencies

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 22:06:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 03:23, Attila Lendvai <attila.lendvai at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It might be an interesting test discipline (typically of interest only
>> in combination with :FORCE t) to allow people to run ASDF operations
>> with random tie-breaking.  This seems like a poor debugging technique,
>> though, since the number of such orderings will explode in systems with
>> weak RECORDED dependencies, so stumbling on a missing dependency might
>> well not happen quickly....
>
> i think that exponential blowup of the problem space is not so bad,
> because the load order issues also materialize in big subspaces of it.
>
> but how about making then sorting the load order? (but then what about
> different lisps sorting unicode differently?)
>
> i've learned to live with this, but i thought i bring this up here,
> maybe someone has some good idea that could go into ASDF2.

So far, ASDF2, after ASDF, has some kind of determinism in its behaviour.
If you load the same source in the same order from the same image,
you should always have the same result.
Adding user-controlled randomization might be fine,
but it's just not on my TODO list.

Actually, my TODO list for ASDF is: make a last release 2.20 this year,
and try to touch it as little as possible.
I do have projects for XCVB, though, and I encourage you to join me
in my efforts with XCVB if you're interested in a better build system for CL.

Lambda calculus:

Casual call dumb,
A bad CACM lull us,
Ada club all scum.