[asdf-devel] load order of dependencies

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 08:20:22 UTC 2011

> There have been many attempts in the past to subvert ASDF into
> something that allows this kind of effects (see asdf-system-connections),
> but the semantics of such connections is not very clear (to me at least),
> and being familiar with ASDF itself, I don't see how such tricks
> can be made reliable at all.

well, what i need is less than asdf-system-connections, because in my
case the dependencies are explicit. i just want to have a word in the
load order, also.

a-s-c wants to jump in automagically and load new systems if some
other systems are already loaded. we used it for a while but after
countless headaches we switched to explicit systems called
project1+project2+project3 that depended on the 3 projects and listed
what else to load.

> before, or it's not, and might be loaded before or after and you can't
> retroactively unload and reload the system to have logging magically
> take effect.

i'm programming for long enough to have learnt to make compromises,
and i'd be happy to rmfasl and reload when i'm about to debug
something.

and re :system-depends-on, it bit me hard. took me hours of debugging
why a file is being compiled/loaded twice while i was reinstalled
http://dwim.hu and building the sbcl executable that runs on it (the
symptom was a warning from defpackage about already exported symbols,
it stopped the build).

i was suspecting all kind of weird issues until i've unpulled this
patch from hu.dwim.reiterate.

for now, i'm ok. i'll just make sure i don't pull this patch to the
live system...

thanks for the help!

--
 attila

Notice the erosion of your (digital) freedom, and do something about it!

PGP: 2FA1 A9DC 9C1E BA25 A59C  963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39
OTR XMPP: 8647EEAC EA30FEEF E1B55146 573E52EE 21B1FF06