[asdf-devel] asdf verbosity

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Tue Apr 26 21:47:34 UTC 2011

On 4/26/11 Apr 26 -4:40 PM, Zach Beane wrote:
> Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> writes:
>
>> I have never found the ASDF message printing burdensome.  But then, I
>> don't ever build as many systems at once as Xach does.
>>
>> Is there some way to tell if this is other than a quicklisp-specific
>> problem?
>
> It's nothing Quicklisp-specific. Please see the message regarding
> (require 'sb-rotate-byte) for an example of the new verbosity introduced
> a couple commits ago.
>
> Zach

Got it.  So you didn't object to the old level of verbosity?  I'm
confused because it seemed like the alternatives were new, greater
verbosity, versus silence, neither of which seems very appealing to me.

I guess the challenge that's specific to ql is that you'd like to be
able to throttle verbosity, but the use of invocations of LOAD-SYSTEM
inside .asd files (rather than in depends-on) breaks that, right?  Is
the right answer (horrors! ;->) a dynamically bound verbosity-controller?

Best,