[asdf-devel] asdf verbosity

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 18:06:24 UTC 2011

>> OK. Should I turn verbose off by default, or should I make verbose
>> less verbose, or introduce several degrees of verbosity?
>
> I would be pretty happy if the old behavior was reinstated, and nothing
> else was changed.

OK. Reverted in 2.014.12, with some additional changes.

> Was there a specific problem that prompted the change in behavior?

I sometimes want to debug a ASDF build, or find out what file a set of
style-warnings come from, etc. At ITA we use ancillary methods that call
explain. I wanted to have something similar part of ASDF itself. I guess
however, that the fact that ASDF is "verbose" by default, makes that
more annoying than helpful.

What about making ASDF *not* verbose by default? Does anyone simultaneously
care to have ASDF print the little it currently prints yet not the progress
report I was printing?

Seems like this farmer purchased an old, run-down, abandoned farm with plans
to turn it into a thriving enterprise.  The fields are grown over with weeds,
the farmhouse is falling apart, and the fences are collapsing all around.
During his first day of work, the town preacher stops by to bless the man's
work, praying, "May you and God work together to make this the farm of your
dreams!"
	A few months later, the preacher stops by again to call on the farmer.
Lo and behold, it's like a completely different place — the farm house is
completely rebuilt and in excellent condition, there is plenty of cattle and
other livestock happily munching on feed in well-fenced pens, and the fields
are filled with crops planted in neat rows.  "Amazing!" the preacher says.
"Look what God and you have accomplished together!"
	"Yes, reverend," replies the farmer, "but remember what the farm was
like when God was working it alone!"