[asdf-devel] 2.014.8

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Sat Apr 23 22:03:52 UTC 2011

"Robert P. Goldman" <rpgoldman at sift.info> writes:

> With all due respect, it's not a matter of pushing people to follow a
> convention. The code and documentation specify a data type and the
> interpretation of its values.

The ASDF code didn't actually mandate a string type for the slot until a
couple minor versions ago, and that's what's causing the compile-time
failure on SBCL (and only then at safety 3). Code that actually cared
about the version would have failed at runtime. Clearly, at the moment,
nobody cares - it would be nice to defer the problem until someone
starts caring.

> Maybe if we had that we wouldn't have so many uselessly versioned systems in
> the wild.

I don't see that mattering an awful lot to anyone any time soon.

Zach