[asdf-devel] 2.014.8

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 20:32:12 UTC 2011

> I've retried with 2.014.9, and the cffi-grovel-related problems are
> gone, but there's an interesting new problem.
>
> 2.014.9 includes this line:
>
>  (declaim (optimize (speed 2) (debug 3) (safety 3))) ; XXXXX debug only

Yes, my bad. I'll be gone in an upcoming 2.014.10 :-/

> At (safety 3), SBCL is more aggressive about type-checking CLOS slots.
> As a result of the new declaration of the VERSION slot of a component to
> be of type STRING, several projects have systems that fail to load due
> to type errors:
>
>  - cl-jpeg uses ":version 1.025"
>
>  - nekthuth uses ":version (format nil "~A" +nekthuth-version+)",
>    apparently expecting it to be evaluated
>
>  - js-parser and jwacs use ":version *version*"
>
>  - meta-sexp uses ":version +meta-sexp-version+"
>
>  - rutils uses ":version '(0 3 1)"
>
> Was the :version option evaluated in the past?

The option is only evaluated when someone tries to enforce version
with a dependency like (:version "cl-jpeg" "3.4.5"). Sigh.

That's an interesting problem. What's the correct solution?

Accept bad values and throw a style-warning? a warning? a cerror?

I've just committed 2.014.10 where I issue a warning when I detect it.

Arbitrary limits to programs are evil,
particularly when they go either enforced or unenforced.