[asdf-devel] 2.014.8

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:58:55 UTC 2011

> I wanted to find the system file that would be loaded by a (find-system
> "foo") without loading the file first.

I suppose I could reinstate some function to do that - but again,
not just pathnames could be returned, but system objects, too.

>> It doesn't always make sense, for instance with runtime-computed of
>> "fallback" systems that are not backed by a .asd file.
>
> Is there more than one such system, i.e. is this just a single-use hack
> for loading ASDF as a system?

I admit that currently, I know only ASDF and cl-launch
that use that functionality (that I know of),
as fallbacks when source is not available.

> I wound up changing my approach entirely. My goal was to answer the
> question "What systems are defined by foo.asd?" Instead of determining
> the filename in advance, I got it after the fact and used map-systems to
> find related systems defined in the same file.

It's probably a safer bet.

>> In other words, I'm eager to improve ASDF to make it more suitable
>> to your purposes, but I require more precise feedback as to what to do.
>
> It would be nice the behavior of exported functions didn't change in
> subtle ways between minor releases.

Well, I (obviously falsely) believed that this exported function was never
really used, except by one client, as a bad way to achieve the
functionality of system-source-file, from times before system-source-file
was available. Also, same function didn't make much sense. Apologies.

The whole "execute code at system-definition time, which is in the same
image that will be built" model makes ASDF a mess of a system.

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil
to one who is striking at the root. — Thoreau