[asdf-devel] 2.014.8

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 15:36:00 UTC 2011

On 22 April 2011 09:52, Zach Beane <xach at xach.com> wrote:
> FYI, the recent updates removing and reinstating
> ASDF:SYSTEM-DEFINITION-PATHNAME broke my dist construction machinery,
> which relied on the original behavior of that function.

How did you rely on that function? It doesn't always make sense,
for instance with runtime-computed of "fallback" systems
that are not backed by a .asd file.

If needed, I could possibly split find-system into subfunctions,
but you'd have to deal with more than just pathnames.

> Switching to
> ASDF:SYSTEM-SOURCE-FILE caused subtle problems for me, because functions
> in ASDF:*SYSTEM-DEFINITION-SEARCH-FUNCTIONS* must now return actual
> pathname objects, and pathname designators like strings do not suffice.
> (They result in a component-not-found error.)

What about returning a pathname instead of a string?
Alternatively I could add a clause to that cond in find-system:
((stringp found) (parse-namestring found))

In other words, I'm eager to improve ASDF to make it more suitable
to your purposes, but I require more precise feedback as to what to do.

Statism is the secular version of salvation through faith: it doesn't
matter what bureaucrats do, only that they do it with good intentions.