[asdf-devel] New ASDF maintainer sought

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 09:28:49 UTC 2010

Dear all,

I welcome both Vsevolod's and Juanjo's candidacies to overtake ASDF
maintenance. Let the one who actually has time to do the hard work do
the hard work and take over. However, while I generally agree with
both of your plans with respect to the future of ASDF, I have a few
remarks.

* Moving towards more rational release numbers is good.
* A regular release cycle is only justified if there are regular changes.
* Moving towards a fully declarative model is I think essential,
 though of course it does requires a clear split between
 backwards-compatible 2.x and incompatible 3.x.
* supporting more ops is cool: test-op, install-op, etc., but of course
 is probably to be done as (standardized) extensions rather than as more
 stuff in asdf.lisp

Against a point that you both raised,
I see no good reason whatsoever to split asdf in multiple files,
though I can imagine plenty of bad reasons from past conversations,
and I see plenty of good reasons not to do it.

Bad reasons to split:
* ease of browsing? Nope, it's harder when split.
 You have to search for text in all files,
 lookup an index to see the order (that does matter).
* speed of compiling? Nope, for hours of maintenance, you only get a few
 fractions of a second of speedup in the rare case that you only make
 a simple change to a file that leaves all APIs untouched. And only on
 a few implementations where you can somehow achieve separate compilation
 through ad-hoc non-portable scripts. Full build takes a fraction of a second
 MORE time, not less time, when you first have to concatenate all the
 subfiles, anyway, because in the end, the reason we put it all into
 asdf.lisp is because it was all necessary to bootstrap ASDF.
* ease of maintenance? Nope, additional maintenance nightmare.
* ease of distribution? Nope, it's easier to distribute one Lisp file
 than a directory of files.
* ease of deployment? Nope, it has to be loaded all at once,
 and there's no portable way to concatenate FASLs.
* ease of bug tracking? Nope, it's easier to md5sum or diff one file
 than to try to assert and maintain coherence between tens of files.
* smaller size? Nope, you only increase the total overhead,
 and don't diminish the intrinsic complexity and size.
* more sizeable chunks? Nope, my screenful of emacs buffer remains
 of the same size.

I'm sure we could figure out or imagine more reasons and non-reasons.
But in the end, before you do such a sweeping change, can we have
a rationale?

Question:  How many Intel/Microsoft executives does it take to screw in a
light bulb?

Answer:  None, they simply make darkness an industry standard.