[asdf-devel] Should ASDF define many packages?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 03:36:57 UTC 2010

On 31 August 2010 16:39, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:
>>             #:aif
>>             #:appendf
>>             #:ends-with
>>             #:length=n-p
>>             #:remove-keys
>>             #:remove-keyword
I removed these from the export list in 2.126. Does this require an
urgent 2.008 release?
(Indeed, exporting aif without exporting it is pointless. The original
export list wasn't fully thought out.)

>>             #:coerce-name
>>             #:read-file-forms
>>             #:split-string
>>             #:while-collecting
coerce-name is part of the protocol.
So is split-string, to a lesser point. And it is actually used by clients.
read-file-forms and while-collecting are a bit mooter, though they are
very useful to define extensions to existing protocol in the same
style as ASDF.

> The others seem more like programming utilities that could be dispensed
> with.  I think we're probably stuck with AIF and APPENDF, but
> WHILE-COLLECTING and some of the others might be safely dispensable.

I removed AIF and APPENDF, because they are both more likely to cause
clashes, and not specific enough to help ASDF clients partake in an
"ASDF style". Hopefully, no one was using them from the ASDF package.
Or they can use ::

The risk is that if, one day, machines become intelligent,
we mightn't be mentally equipped to notice they are.
		— Tirésias, in J.-P. Petit, "A quoi rêvent les robots?"