[asdf-devel] What do I win?

Nikodemus Siivola nikodemus at random-state.net
Fri Oct 15 16:57:51 UTC 2010

On 15 October 2010 19:49, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:

>> Ok, I'll put this on my TODO: I think :DEPENDS-ON ((:FEATURES ...))
>> would be a nice way to indicate that something is eg. only meant for
>> SBCL on Linux, or whatever.
>
> I'm going a little by memory, but IIRC the officially approved way of
> doing this in ASDF is very cumbersome.
>
> You indicate a features-based dependency and then you have to set up an
> error-handler (well, effectively an error handler), using
> :if-component-dep-fails to say "and if this dependency fails, ignore it."

I've done this, and it works fine -- from eg. SB-CGA:

   (:module "ports"
            :if-component-dep-fails :try-next
            :components ((:file "sbcl" :in-order-to ((compile-op
(feature :sbcl))))
                         (:file "ccl" :in-order-to ((compile-op
(feature :ccl))))))

The :DEPENDS-ON for the whole system in this case is intended for
system introspection for things like Quicklisp -- or that's my idea at
least.

Cheers,

 -- Nikodemus