[asdf-devel] asdf-utilities

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Oct 11 16:20:48 UTC 2010

On 10/11/10 Oct 11 -11:08 AM, Nikodemus Siivola wrote:
> On 11 October 2010 18:10, Faré <fahree at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Apparently, this was a big fail, and you need to remove FASLs compiled
>> with versions of ASDF earlier than 2.006 if any of them uses internal
>> ASDF utilities. My apologies for the big mess.
>
> I wanted to take this as an opportunity to point to the recent
> question "can we determine fasl-compatibility without loading the
> fasl"?
>
> No. While you may be able to approximate it with
> implementation-specific fasl-header tests, there can always be stuff
> in fasls that breaks compatibility anyways -- as demonstrated above.

Bah.  See my post to the launchpad ticket for asdf --- this is bad
because without a lookahead at the wrong-fasl errors, asdf can't really
properly handle and react to fasls with the wrong version.  The existing
workarounds are not well-formed because they can't hook into ASDF's plan
generation.

Maybe this will be the impetus I need to get my CLEAN-OP (really stolen
from Paolo, IIRC) into ASDF2...

best,