[asdf-devel] asdf-utilities

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 15:10:18 UTC 2010

On 11 October 2010 09:19, Lou Vanek <lou.vanek at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm setting up a new lisp system on a new debian lenny machine and one
> of the lisp libraries
> I'm trying to load is asking to load the asdf-utilities package, but
> this package doesn't exist.
>
> Was this included with ASDF1 and not ASDF2? If so, how do people
> work around those libraries that require asdf-utilities?
>
> I'm using the latest version of openmcl/clozure/ccl from trunk.
> The asdf version that loads is 2.009. I believe asdf is included with ccl.
> Appreciate any ideas.

Sorry, it's a bug introduced in ASDF2, then resolved in ASDF2.

I introduced ASDF-UTILITIES some time before ASDF 2.000, as a
replacement for the ill-fated ASDF-EXTENSIONS, before I realized that
ASDF-EXTENSIONS had never been used in ASDF1 anyway (didn't export
anything), and that the demand from the public was to leave utilities
in ASDF and not have extra packages (bug 620579), which was fixed in
2.006, with various attempts at enhancing backwards compatibility in
2.007, 2.008, 2.009.

Apparently, this was a big fail, and you need to remove FASLs compiled
with versions of ASDF earlier than 2.006 if any of them uses internal
ASDF utilities. My apologies for the big mess.

If FASL compatibility is required, maybe I should make ASDF-UTILITIES
a nickname for ASDF? Or maybe I should display a prominent warning or
cerror if ASDF-UTILITIES existed and was deleted? What do you think?

The program isn't debugged until the last user is dead.