[asdf-devel] The Manual

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Oct 4 14:39:38 UTC 2010

On 10/4/10 Oct 4 -7:36 AM, Faré wrote:
> On 3 October 2010 17:18, Dave Penton <djp at arqux.com> wrote:
>> A manual section on the
>> semantics of defsystem is sorely needed. I am fairly new to Common Lisp (one
>> year). Like most developers I need some kind of system definition facility
>> but find myself a bit exasperated learning to use asdf.
>>
> There is no well-defined semantics beyond what the code does.
> What do you need to learn that isn't covered by the manual?

I think there is some lack of clarity in particular about (1) the
in-order-to/depends-on/do-first morass; (2) the whole "plan then act"
nature of ASDF; (3) the odd semantics of PERFORM as relates to modules;
(4) the protocol (in particular, how to extend the set of OPERATIONs and
COMPONENTs).

I think I pretty much understand (2) and (3).  I periodically understand
do-first, but seem to reliably GC this knowledge.  I don't have a clear
understanding of (4) --- my attempts to extend the protocol often run on
the rocks in corner cases I haven't tested.

Best,