[asdf-devel] FInding a system file in the current directory

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Sun Oct 3 23:49:19 UTC 2010

On 10/3/10 Oct 3 -6:17 PM, Dave Penton wrote:
> Can asdf find a file containing a system definition in the current working directory?
>
> (Yes, I have read ch.7 of the manual. It may start to make sense on the third reading, but so far not much joy :-)

I think a problem with this question is that the notion of "current
working directory" isn't always to the point in Common Lisp.  There
seems to be a sense that *default-pathname-defaults* will be
synchronized with the working directory of the lisp process (cf
http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/v_defaul.htm
"Initial Value:  An implementation-dependent pathname, typically in the
working directory that was current when Common Lisp was started up.")
but it's really *default-pathname-defaults* you should be asking about
and not CWD.

I have a vague memory that ASDF 1 provided a mechanism for putting
*default-pathname-defaults* into your asdf:*central-registry*; I don't
recall how this was done....

If you are not using Fare's new configuration language, you might just
be able to do (push *default-pathname-defaults* asdf:*central-registry*).

The question is "why do you want to do this, instead of using Fare's
language or configuring by setting asdf:*central-registry*?"  If we had
a better sense of the answer to that question, we could probably provide
better assistance.

cheers,