[asdf-devel] [PROPOSAL] Easier configuration, installation, and removal of asdf systems

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Nov 19 20:31:19 UTC 2010

On 19 November 2010 15:22, Krzysztof Drewniak <krzysdrewniak at gmail.com> wrote:
> Rationale:
> To make asdf easier to use by providing a standard interface for
> configuring, installing, and removing systems
>
> Details:
> To facilitate easier configuration, installation, and removal of asdf
> systems, I propose 2 new operations and 2 new functions be added.
> The operations would be install-op and remove-op, and the functions
> would be configure and config-of
>
>  * New function: configure
>  * New operation: install-op
>  * New function config-get
>  * New operation: remove-op
[...]

1- No one else than yourself will implement this proposal.

2- It's not clear that anyone would use it. What problem are you solving?
 How does it help?

3- As for precise semantics, how do your operations recurse or not recurse
 to dependencies?

4- How do you distinguish between fasls compiled with different options.

> [P.S. I will not be available between 09/22/2010 and 09/29/2010 due to a
> vacation resort in Mexico which has an 80% chance of no free Internet]
Your .sig is obsolete.

"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month."
	— Wernher Von Braun, when asked by the US government
	why tossing scientists at the 'space race' was not helping.