[asdf-devel] The future of ASDF (was logical pathnames)

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 31 18:06:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.info> wrote:

> With all due respect, this seems contentious and unsupported.  I don't
> see any particular reason to believe that a tool for the coherent
> maintenance of a long-running image would also be a good fit for more
> conventional development.

You do not see it, but there other users out there that do. I do not need to
keep my image up and runnign throughout my development process and I can
still achieve the same thing. I am not disputing your development model, I
am disputing that anyone wishes to impose anything like that on anybody
else.

> There are already tools for the non-image-driven development.  If ECL is
> not aiming at image-driven development, maybe a tool like make, or make
> + autoconf would be a better fit.

I do not see why and how. Compiling lisp systems can only be done from lisp
environments. This is not like you write "ecl my-file.lisp" and get
something else precisely because that lisp file depends on a lot of other
things.

> That said, if you wish to try to make ASDF work for conventional
> build-and-exit system construction, and that doesn't break ASDF for
> image integrity maintenance, more power to you!

This is what I am claiming that it is possible to achieve, but hey this is
like walking on a 1km lane covered with velcro and me having socks, friction
everywhere :-)
With all due respect, I can understand some people polarize against ASDF.

Juanjo

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)