[asdf-devel] SBCL port of ECL's extensions

Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll juanjose.garciaripoll at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 29 18:43:19 UTC 2010

Hi Robert,

I must say that I understand your concerns which are just, right now,
*time*. And I also understand that in prolonging this thread I risk you lose
your patience with a feeling that I am wasting your time, but please read
this email and understand the following key points that indeed will save us
all some time

1) We have a working set of ASDF extensions that ECL users apply routinely
to most systems out there. It works.

2) You asked me to extend those extensions to SBCL in an email to the
mailing list. I did it in a way that DOES NOT CHANGE the way ASDF behaves in
any single way (*)

3) Those extensions can be shipped with ASDF without warranty of 100% work,
and an explicit statement such as the following one:

The asdf-bundle operations are only designed to work with systems that
contain basic ASDF operations and components. The protocol for systems that
rely on external resources, such as shared libraries, compiled C files,
bitmaps, etc, is not yet defined, so using it on such systems is not
guaranteed to work.

4) Given this, the current implementation just works. No work on
implementors to do before ASDF 2.0

5) In order to remove the statement of 3) we have to code a better
map-over-ASDF or gather-components function. This can be done at any time
and it is not a requirement for shipping the current extensions. This was
what I said should be "discussed", but if you are too busy, simply forget
it.

You can stop reading here if you wish, and I will continue in a separate
email with a discussion of how this should be completed if there is ever a
desire to include these features in ASDF.

Juanjo

(*) Only a small :around method for operation-done-p, but this method is
only active when "performing" one of the bundle operators.

--
Instituto de Física Fundamental, CSIC
c/ Serrano, 113b, Madrid 28006 (Spain)