[asdf-devel] SBCL port of ECL's extensions

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Mar 29 15:47:11 UTC 2010

On 3/29/10 Mar 29 -4:07 AM, Juan Jose Garcia-Ripoll wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Tobias C. Rittweiler <tcr at freebits.de
> <mailto:tcr at freebits.de>> wrote:
>
>     Do people want something like that? Dear, yes! For example, Zach Beane's
>     buildapp found great resonance:
>
>           http://www.xach.com/lisp/buildapp/
>
>     Is your stuff the essentials to have something like that be part of
>     ASDF? If so, could you shortly write up a kind of roadmap?
>

> What is needed for any kind of standalone system building that relies on
> ASDF system definitions and is capable of incorporating all dependencies?
>
> - A way to gather the list of files that form part of that system
> (gather-components in asdf-ext.lisp)

Can you provide to us a specification of what the files would be for
gather-components?

I.e., can you characterize this declaratively in terms of the values of
MODULE-COMPONENTS, and for some operation the values of INPUT-FILES
and/or OUTPUT-FILES?

in order to make this work generally, we would need to describe for
system-extenders how they must extend in order to make this
GATHER-COMPONENTS protocol work.  E.g., if I have an abstract protocol
spec that gets translated into lisp source and then that get compiles,
how should I describe that protocol?

Follow-up question:  since this seems to raise the bar for backwards
compatibility, would it be reasonable to ask system designers to mark
their system objects somehow to indicate that their system will obey the
protocol?  E.g.,

(defsystem :foo
  :gatherable t
)